Monday 31 March 2008

More cutting!

I am still following Michelles http://michelleward.typepad.com/how_cool_is_that/ crusades and the challenge for March which is to cut your own stamp. Having had a very busy few days I still managed to have another 'cutting' session. This time I had a go at the dove, the bird of peace carrying its olive branch...at least I think its supposed to be an olive branch.

I am definatley getting more accurate with the cutters but even after buying the brayer I still had trouble with the printing side of things. So I dug out my rolling pin which, I hasten to add, rarely gets used for making pastry and used it to apply pressure to the back of the lino when I was stamping it. I guess mounting it onto a woodem block would be a good idea but I am far too impatient for that! Anyway, it certainly helped me get a more even coverage. I am desperate to have a go with cutting rubber but have yet to source a 'reasonably priced' one here in the UK! Anyway here is my dove...duly printed into my journal!

Next month we are making stencils. Come to think of it, I did this once before when I decided to stencil round my walls but that was a very long time ago so it will be nice to revisit it.

5 comments:

michelle ward said...

Julie - lovely dove! I never thought about the printing part of it - I just brush paint on it. But then, I never go for the perfect image either...like to be kinda messy. The rolling pin is clever. I forgot to mention this to you before - I'm married to a Graham too, and he's English - brummie.

Kat W said...

The dove is beautiful, and you did a wonderful job carving it! :)

Anonymous said...

Love your carved stamp. It is so beautiful and peaceful :)

Vivian said...

The dove is beautiful! Great job!

forcryeye said...

Wow! Your dove is wonderful. Isn't this fun?!?!