Monday 15 December 2008

Crusade no 25



From time to time I follow Michelle Wards Crusades and no 25 was to investigate the properties of gesso. I had so much fun with this, turning out several pages to use for journalling backgrounds in the space of just a few days (allowing for drying time!). So here are some of my experiments...


This was stamping into a block of painted gesso and then painting over the top. As gesso resists paint, a short spritz of water and I was able to move the paint around and create quite a different effect.

In this one, I used 'gloopy' gesso...that is, loading the sponge with huge amounts of gesso and leaving it all 'gloopy' on the page. It took a long time to dry and I did a couple of different layers finishing up with paint over sequin scrim.

This one may well be my favourite. The effects were achieved by dipping a piece of string into the gesso and dragging it over the page. The photos dont do it justice as there is depth and texture on the page. And finally...

More 'gloopyiness' achieved by dragging the sponge horizontally across the page as well as the string technique and then painting and spritzing with water before spreading the paint. I have actually used this one as a background for crusade 26 but more about that tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration Michelle! I am determined to stay more up to date with the crusades from now on...we'll see!!!

Oh and for those who asked, my square is the memory angel which I think was in the second photo.

4 comments:

michelle ward said...

yay julie! glad you had a chance to play with gesso. looks and sounds like you had fun. love all the texture here! it's great to invest a little time in making backgrounds isn't it? fab!! thanks for sharing with the team. we all had so much fun with gesso, it's great to see more pages.

i can't remember if i told you this already - my husband is a graham too :)

Anonymous said...

Jules I so love the muted tones this product gives, I am yet to buy some & give it a go, BUT you have inspired me, thankyou

forcryeye said...

The first one is in 3D! Too cool! It seems so silly at first, to paint with this white goop...and then it creates these amazing backrounds! I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and enjoy your Holiday's!

Anonymous said...

Julie these are great! wow, I love them.
the answer to the question still leaves me wondering which one is your square..... huh?